The Academy Career Exploration offers students a range of unique opportunities that not only support their academic achievement, but also serve to promote their social and emotional development.
These opportunities include:
- SIGMA: Graduates of this program will receive credit for Two High School Regents courses (Math Algebra and Earth Science Regents).
- Student Owned classrooms where one teacher provides direct instruction to students for most of the core subjects.
The benefits of this program are listed below:
- This program offers middle school students the unique experience to receive high quality instruction in a nurturing environment from a qualified teacher who is familiar with each student’s individual needs.
- Individualized instruction, as most classroom teachers are responsible for teaching the core subjects to only one in the 6th and 7th grades.
- Increased instructional time during the school day, as students are not required to spend additional time passing in the hallways to get to each class.
- Student rich environments: student work is displayed to reinforce previous instructional strategies.
- Safer school environment as students are escorted during classroom passing (including physical education and lunch periods).
- Student friendly environment where students are not required to carry their coats around the school during the day and have access to coat closets.